Friday, April 25, 2008

Is torture an "Eternal Sin"?

The thought has passed through my mind all to often lately, building up through the last few years.

Torture is after all, deliberately and with malice, attempting to someone's spirit. Not in a metaphoric, but in a literal sense.

Via Wikipedia "He who is not with me is against me, and he who does not gather with me scatters. Therefore I tell you, every sin and blasphemy will be forgiven men, but the blasphemy against the Spirit will not be forgiven. And whoever says a word against the Son of man will be forgiven; but whoever speaks against the Holy Spirit will not be forgiven, either in this age or in the age to come." (Book of Matthew 12:30-32)

I am not, by any stretch of the imagination, a fundamentalist, and I am a christian only in the same sense that Jefferson was a christian, in that I think Christ had a great deal of wisdom to impart.

Among that wisdom however was that - to blaspheme against the Spirit, is an unforgivable sin. Whether you are someone such as myself that respects many religions, or a Christian Fundamentalist, it seems to me that if one gives any weight to a divine spark in the human soul whatsoever, that to torture is by definition to blaspheme against it.

To torture.
To condone torture.
To permit torture.
To not speak out against torture.

All these are in some degree, blasphemy against the Holy Spirit.
Yet we have somehow permitted ourselves to be saddled with a government whose interests lie in defining some 'magic line', in which breaking a persons spirit is allowed, if only we can do it with leaving bodily marks.

No comments: